Christopher Bailey - Chief Creative and Chief Executive Officer
Christopher Bailey is Chief Creative and Chief Executive Officer for global British luxury brand Burberry.
Christopher joined Burberry as Design Director in May 2001 and from the outset his creative vision was applied to all aspects of the brand. He was responsible for all collections, brand imagery, consumer-facing activities incorporating product design and development, creative marketing, architecture, consumer technology and digital innovation.
In partnership with former Chief Executive Officers Rose Marie Bravo and then Angela Ahrendts, Christopher developed Burberry’s creative and strategic direction over a 13 year period. In that time, working with the senior leadership team, they created the leading global, British luxury brand.
In 2008 together with former Burberry CEO Angela Ahrendts, Christopher established the Burberry Foundation to help young people realise their potential through the power of their creativity. The Foundation leverages Burberry’s unique creative culture and its 11,000 associates worldwide to help give young people the confidence to achieve their dreams. The Burberry Foundation also forms an important part of the company’s commitment to contribute to the communities where it operates.
In November 2009, in recognition of his outstanding contribution to the company’s success, Christopher was appointed to the newly created position of Chief Creative Officer.
On 1st May 2014 Christopher was appointed Chief Creative Officer and Chief Executive Officer. This new role combines his existing position with overall responsibility for creating and delivering the next chapter in Burberry’s global vision and business strategy.
Christopher is a long-standing supporter and mentor of emerging British creative talent from institutions around the UK including the Royal College of Art, the Chelsea College of Art, the University of Huddersfield, Sheffield Hallam University, the Batley School of Art and the University of Westminster. In 2012, Christopher Bailey was named Chair of Fashion Fringe, one of the leading platforms supporting emerging fashion talent in the UK.
Prior to his appointment at Burberry, Christopher was the Senior Designer of Womenswear at Gucci in Milan from 1996 to 2001. From 1994 to 1996 he was the Womenswear Designer at Donna Karan.
Christopher Bailey, 44, is British and was born in Yorkshire.
• Editor’s Choice Award at the ELLE Style Awards 2015
• Designer of the Year, GQ Men of the Year Awards
• Association of Colleges Gold Award for Further Education Alumni
• Menswear Designer of the Year 2013, British Fashion Awards
• Honorary Doctorate from the Royal College of Art, London
• Honorary Doctorate from Sheffield Hallam University, Yorkshire
• International Award, Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA)
• Honoured with an MBE in the Birthday 2009 Honours List for his services to the Fashion Industry
• Honorary Patronage from Dublin Trinity College Philosophical Society
• Designer of the Year 2009, British Fashion Awards
• Menswear Designer of the Year 2008, British Fashion Awards
• Menswear Designer of the Year 2007, British Fashion Awards
• Honorary Doctorate of Science from the University of Huddersfield, Yorkshire
• Honorary Doctorate from the University of Westminster, where Christopher graduated from with a BA in 1990
• Designer of the Year, British Fashion Awards
• Honorary Fellowship from the Royal College of Art, where Christopher graduated from with an MA in 1994
Additional Ticket Request Contacts for Press
UK and EMEIA
+ 44 (0) 20 3367 8900
+1 212 707 6610
+44 (0) 20 3367 3602